We recognise the important role Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people play in our workplace.
We aim to attract, recruit and develop Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees. Our priority is to ensure a safe workplace where we celebrate all cultures.
Work for us
Find out how to apply for a job.
We encourage anyone with relevant skills and experience to apply.
We also take part in job programs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
We participate in entry-level job programs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
These are APS-wide programs. Find opportunities on the APSjobs website.
Our graduate programs support transition from university to the workplace. Programs run for 12 months in Canberra. Participants are supported by an Indigenous mentor.
You will gain:
- a Diploma of Government
- full-time work experience
- on-the-job training
- learning and development opportunities
You can apply for a graduate position through:
- our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stream (we will publish advice on how to apply soon)
- the Indigenous Australian Government Program (IAGDP)
- the Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program
Indigenous Apprenticeship Program (IAP)
The Indigenous Apprenticeship Program (IAP) is a 12 month entry level program. It is managed by the Department of Human Services.
Participants complete a Certificate IV in Government or a Diploma in Government.
We are focused on improving representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Our approach is guided by our:
- diversity strategy
- reconciliation action plan
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment strategies.