Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment, July 2020
Imported plant material can pose a high risk of introducing exotic and unwanted pests and diseases into Australia if they are not sufficiently processed.
To ensure that the associated risks are managed to keep Australia’s biosecurity protected, certain imported plant materials may be processed onshore at an approved arrangement class 3.0. These include:
- Plant-based ingredients for use in pet and other animal feed manufacturing
- Seeds and nuts
- Fresh produce
- Other unprocessed plant material such as cotton, jute, hops.
AA class 3.0 is used for receiving, storing, inspecting and processing goods at a facility under biosecurity control. Any offsite facilities used to store imported goods before being sent for processing at an AA class 3.0 facility must also have the appropriate approved arrangement in place.
Apply for an AA class 3.0
Note: If you are unsure about whether you need to apply contact us on 1800 900 090 or email us, with ‘attention: plant tier 2’ in the subject line.
- Complete our processing questionnaire, including site location information and submit these to the Import Services team at email@example.com, with ‘attention: plant tier 2’ in the subject line. Or submit these with your plant import permit application.
We will use the information you provide to determine whether the biosecurity risks associated with the proposed import can be managed to achieve Australia’s appropriate level of protection through processing at the facility.
A biosecurity risk assessment and site location endorsement will be provided where we determine the biosecurity risks can be effectively managed.
- Once you have received our biosecurity risk assessment and site location endorsement, contact the Approved Arrangements section at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for AA class 3.0.
You must submit both the biosecurity risk assessment and AA site location endorsement with your application for it to be approved.
Read our industry advice notice on how we’re strengthening the biosecurity management of imported plant and animal materials for onshore processing.
Learn more about:
- our requirements for operating an AA class 3.0 for processing imported plant or animal materials
- importing plant based food, drink and supplements
- importing plant based animal feed.