Imported food inspection data
When food is inspected under the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment Imported Food Inspection Scheme (IFIS), it may be subject to analytical testing for particular hazards, depending on how the food is classified under the IFIS.
The data presented in the reports on inspection activity has been compiled from the results of inspection activity on imported food consignments under the IFIS.
Australian food statistics
This data reflects department inspection activity only and does not relate to the number of consignments imported or the volume of imports as each consignment can vary in the quantities imported. Information on the volumes of trade can be found in the Australian food statistics publications.
Goods imported from New Zealand
Australian food statistics indicates that most imported food is sourced from New Zealand. However, under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Arrangement, most food from New Zealand is not subject to inspection at the border under the IFIS. Some of the foods classified as 'risk food' are subject to inspection. Therefore, the inspection activity on food from New Zealand is low compared to actual imports from New Zealand. The Australian food statistics publications contain more information about food imported from New Zealand.
Imported food inspection data
The data used in these reports refers to entries, lines and test results for consignments of food referred by the Department of Home Affairs to the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment for inspection at the rates specified in the IFIS. The results presented in these reports are only for those lines where an inspection or inspection and analysis under the IFIS occurred. Consignments of food that are not referred to or inspected under the IFIS are not included in these reports.
The IFIS is one part of the Australian food regulatory system, with imported food subject to post-border food regulation in each state and territory.
- July to December 2013 PDF [1 MB, 22 pages]
- July to December 2013 DOCX [4.5 MB, 22 pages]
*Amended July 2014 – Page 8, Table 6 ‘Compliance of oysters ex Korea/Japan, originally reported as 4 passes (100% compliance). Corrected to show 1 pass, 3 fails (25% compliance). No other data in the report has been affected.
- January to June 2013 PDF [1 MB, 22 pages]
- January to June 2013 DOCX [4.5 MB, 22 pages]
- January to June 2012 PDF [566 KB, 22 pages]
- January to June 2012 DOCX [170 KB, 22 pages]
*Amended November 2013. Complete report – Report published in November 2012 under-reported the amount of testing conducted during January 2012 to June 2012.
2008 and older
- July 2008 to December 2008 PDF [353 KB, 22 pages]
- July 2008 to December 2008 DOCX [541 KB, 22 pages]
- January 2008 to June 2008 PDF [353 KB, 26 pages]
- January 2008 to June 2008 DOCX [541 KB, 26 pages]
- July 2007 to December 2007 PDF [353 KB, 22 pages]
- July 2007 to December 2007 DOCX [541 KB, 22 pages]
- July 2006 to June 2007 PDF [353 KB, 24 pages]
- July 2006 to June 2007 DOCX [541 KB, 24 pages]