Australian Wood Packaging Certification Scheme (AWPCS) for export
The AWPCS is a certification scheme that ensures that Australian treatment providers and wood packaging manufacturers produce wood packaging material that meets the ISPM 15 standard for exports.
ISPM 15 is the International Standard for Phytosanitary Measures Publication No. 15 - Guidelines for Regulating Wood Packaging in International Trade. It represents the first international commodity based standard and sets out criteria for regulating wood packaging material used in international trade.
Under the AWPCS treatment providers and wood packaging manufacturers that meet the ISPM 15 requirements will be authorised by the department to apply an internationally recognised mark to wood packaging material produced for use in the export trade. The ISPM 15 certification mark can only be used in Australia by participants in the AWPCS who are recognised by the department.
Participation in the AWPCS is not mandatory, however participants in the AWPCS agree to be bound by its rules.
The AWPCS details the requirements and procedures for the certification of wood packaging material for use in export consignments and is intended for use by Australian treatment providers, wood packaging manufacturers and accredited certification bodies.
- Summary of changes to the Australian Wood Packaging Scheme (AWPCS) - Version 4.0
- The Australian Wood Packaging Scheme (AWPCS) - Version 4.0
More information on AWPCS and ISPM15
- Applying for certification under the AWPCS
- AWPCS - Process flowchart PDF [198 KB] Word [45 KB]
- AWPCS Register - List of certified treatment providers and wood packaging manufacturers
- ISPM 15 country implementation dates
- Frequently asked questions - ISPM 15 for export
For further information regarding AWPCS for exports, please email Grain Exports.