The Australian Government is committed to protecting our biosecurity system. As we find ourselves in an increasingly dynamic environment, the need to manage the whole biosecurity continuum onshore, at the border and offshore is of increasing importance.
Our relationships with other Government departments are critical to the success of these activities. To this end, the department is involved in a number of partnerships which include:
- Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Health
- Memorandum of Understanding with the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service
- National Biosecurity Committee
- Intergovernmental agreement on biosecurity
- Steering Committee for the National Red Imported Fire Ant Eradication Program
These activities together work to strengthen the partnerships between the Commonwealth and key stakeholders to improve the national biosecurity system.
In addition, the Australian Government also works with overseas government agencies to manage biosecurity risks before they reach Australia. These partnerships are strengthened through initiatives such as: