ABARES fisheries research and analysis provides the Australian government with economic and scientific evidence to support fisheries policy and the sustainable management of fisheries resources.
Fisheries Science Program
The Fisheries Science Program provides research and data to support Australia’s engagement with regional fisheries management organisations (RFMO). The Program also manages and maintains ABARES fisheries data and contributes to the annual Fishery status reports. ABARES provides Australia’s science lead for several RFMOs:
- Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT)
- Indian Ocean Tuna Commission (IOTC)
- Southern Indian Ocean Fisheries Agreement (SIOFA)
- South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organisation (SPRFMO)
- Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC)
The Program provides research and data on Australia’s domestic fisheries and marine environment, including:
- Stock assessment and stock status determination, including production of the annual ABARES Fishery status reports
- The sustainability of fish stocks, fishing practices and fisheries, as well as impacts of fisheries on the marine environment
- Multi-sectoral fisheries management and resource sharing practices
- Analyses of recreational fishing, including fishery survey techniques
- Participation in Australian fisheries science and management forums, as well as scientific support for the department in its engagement in regional fisheries management organisations
- Supporting the department in its fisheries policy development, implementation and review processes.
The Natural Resource Economics Program manages ABARES fisheries economics research which provides a comprehensive account of historical trends in, and the outlook for, Australian fisheries. Information and analysis contained in these reports are accessed by policy makers, managers, researchers and industry.
- The Australian fisheries economic indicators report series presents detailed analysis of the economic performance of selected Commonwealth fisheries.
- Australian fisheries and aquaculture statistics contains a detailed historic analysis of fisheries, production, consumption and trade.
- Australian fisheries and aquaculture outlook contains projections for the value of Australian fisheries and aquaculture production and exports It also includes specific projections for key species.
In addition to regular publications, ABARES Fisheries Economics section publishes occasional economic research on issues surrounding Australian fisheries.