ABARES has been commissioned by the NSW Department of Primary Industries to deliver an independent report on NSW rice vesting arrangements to the NSW Minister for Agriculture by 30 May 2023.
The report will consider the issues raised in the NSW 2021 Rice Vesting Review (the 2021 Review) and make recommendations to the NSW Government on future regulatory and governance arrangements for the NSW rice industry.
Why we are doing it
The 2021 Review found that there was no conclusive evidence of net benefits to growers or the community from these vesting arrangements, but that there continues to be strong support for vesting arrangements from some industry stakeholders.
As part of its decision to extend rice vesting arrangements for rice grown in NSW to 30 June 2027, the NSW Government called for an independent report to consider the issues identified in the 2021 Review.
What we are doing
As per the terms of reference for the independent report, ABARES will assess the findings and other information identified in the 2021 Review. As part of its assessment, ABARES will ask stakeholders and other experts for feedback on the following matters related to the NSW rice industry:
- The findings of the NSW 2021 Rice Vesting Review
- Governance arrangements and transparency of information related to rice vesting
- Ability of industry participants to access commercial seed varieties and research, development and extension activities
- Operation and tangible benefits of the ‘buyer of last resort’ provision
- Consideration of relevant Australian competition law
- Any other issues considered necessary.
How you contributed
Written submissions closed on 2 March 2023.
A series of public stakeholder engagement sessions were held in 2023.
Northern public hearings
Southern public hearings
Contact: You can email any enquires to Ricevesting@aff.gov.au